Pandora’s box; we’ve all heard the ancient Greek myth. Pandora is sent to Earth by Zeus with a box that she and Epimetheus are told to never open. But curiosity gets the better of Pandora and she opens it, letting all of the evils fly out into the world. But the last thing to fly out of the box wasn’t evil at all, it was the one thing that Zeus knew all humans needed when everything else was getting us down, it was hope.
This month we celebrate that important piece of humanity. Something that we can easily spread. Something that doesn’t have to be expensive to give. April is the National Month of Hope and we have just a few examples of how we can all help bring a little more of it into people’s lives.
- Volunteer to read to children in schools or at the public library.
- Donate extra towels and blankets to local animal shelters.
- Start a collection for a charity that is important to you.
- Provide company to the less fortunate by visiting and volunteering at local homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
- Share stories of overcoming with support groups or individuals who are going through difficult times.
- Get groups of people together to volunteer to clean up areas of your town.
- Take to your social media pages to pay compliments and post words of encouragement for others to see.
One of the most important things to remember this month is that whether your gesture is big or small, it’s truly the thought that counts. It might only take one person to restore hope for someone else, and it never hurts to try and be that person. So spread hope in any way that you can, and be sure to share your stories with us on Facebook by using the hashtag #mvinshope.